The Superior Council of the Sodalitium wants to make public some actions that we have taken in relation to Luis Fernando Figari, measures that were requested of the new government by whoever was until January 27th, 2019 the Apostolic Commissioner, Msgr. Noel Londoño, and by the assembly members during the V General Assembly held recently in Aparecida, Brazil, held from January 6 to 27 of this year.
During the Assembly, Msgr. Noel Londoño informed us that on October 2nd, 2018, the Apostolic Signatura in the Vatican rejected the second appeal of Luis Fernando Figari against the measures ordered by the Congregation for Institutes of Consecrated Life and Sodalitium Christianae Vitae on January 30th, 2017. Being the 5 measures given by the Congregation:
- That Mr. Figari not return to Peru, except for very serious reasons and always with his written permission;
- That Mr. Figari be permanently assigned to a residence in which there is no Sodalitium community;
- That Mr. Figari be prohibited from contacting, in any way, with people belonging to the Sodalitium, and in any case having direct personal contact with them;
- That a member of the Sodalitium be entrusted with the task of referent of Mr. Figari, for any eventuality and requirement;
- That Mr. Figari be prohibited from granting to the media, in public or in private, any statement, in addition to participating in any capacity or for any reason, in public demonstrations and/or meetings of the Sodalitium and of another person or institution, civil or ecclesiastical.
On February 5th, 2019, our Superior General, José David Correa, has issued a decree to make these provisions effective. The copy of this decree has been delivered to Luis Fernando Figari.
With this decree the sodalite center “Mother of the Reconciler” in Rome has been suppressed. In this way, the house where Luis Fernando Figari lived is no longer a Sodalite community; but he will continue to live in that place until he can complete the procedures for his new address, which are already underway, as requested by the Congregation.
In the same way, the Superior General has appointed a member of the Sodalitium, as a reference for Mr. Figari, for any eventuality.
Lima, February 20th, 2019